Quotes about Depression



     “I can't eat and I can't sleep. I'm not doing well in terms of being a functional human, you know?”
- Ned Vizzini 

    “That terrible mood of depression of whether it's any good or not is what is known as The Artist's Reward.
- Ernest Hemingway

    “Depression can seem worse than terminal cancer, because most cancer patients feel loved and they have hope and self-esteem.
- David D. Burns

    “Depression is the inability to construct a future.
- Rollo May

     “Depression is rage spread thin.
- George Santayana


     “Recession is when a neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours.
- Ronald Reagan

    “This is what I am. I have periods of enormous self-destructive depression, where I go completely off my trolley and lose all sight of reality and reason.”
- Siobhan Fahey
    “Since I was 16, I've felt a black cloud hangs over me. Since then, I have taken pills for depression.”
- Amy Winehouse

     “The Great Depression, like most other periods of severe unemployment, was produced by government mismanagement rather than by any inherent instability of the private economy.”
- Milton Friedman
     “If we can boondoggle ourselves out of this depression, that word is going to be enshrined in the hearts of the American people for years to come.”
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

     “I start to think there really is no cure for depression, that happiness is an ongoing battle, and I wonder if it isn't one I'll have to fight for as long as I live. I wonder if it's worth it.
- Elizabeth Wurtzel

     “Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
- Chuck Palahniuk


     “I've had a tremendous problem with depression in my life. I'd rather not talk about it, because it's over. But depression is real.
- Henri Nouwen

    “Enthusiasm is followed by disappointment and even depression, and then by renewed enthusiasm.
- Murray Gell-Mann

    “You largely constructed your depression. It wasn't given to you. Therefore, you can deconstruct it.”
- Albert Ellis

     “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.
- Pythagoras

    “I've had some dark nights of the soul, of course, but giving in to depression would be a sellout, a defeat.
- Christopher Hitchens

     “When we're unemployed, we're called lazy; when the whites are unemployed it's called a depression.
- Jesse Jackson


    “When I graduated from high school, it was during the Depression and we had no money.
- Ray Bradbury


    “Do not brood over your past mistakes and failures as this will only fill your mind with grief, regret and depression. Do not repeat them in the future.
- Swami Sivananda


     “It was a lack of system that made the '30s Depression as inevitable as all others previously suffered.
- Carroll O'Connor

      “Depression is when you have lots of love, but no one's taking.
- Douglas Coupland


     “Depression is a physical illness.
- Terry Bradshaw


       “Depression opens the door to beauty of some kind.
- James Hillman


     “Depression begins with disappointment. When disappointment festers in our soul, it leads to discouragement.
- Joyce Meyer

     “The more choices we give patients affected by depression, the better we will serve them.
- Carlos Santana

     “Depression is something that makes you lose your sight.
- Michael Schenker


     “Until you've had depression I don't think you're qualified to talk about it.
- Geoffrey Boycott


     “The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression.
- Gary Larson


      “I think the best comedies came out during the Depression. Personally.
- Zooey Deschanel


     “Art saved me; it got me through my depression and self-loathing, back to a place of innocence.
- Jeanette Winterson


     “In a strange way, I had fallen in love with my depression.
- Elizabeth Wurtzel


     “Depression is melancholy minus its charms - the animation, the fits.
- Susan Sontag


     “I'm the only person of distinction who has ever had a depression named for him.
- Herbert Hoover


     “Creative people are more prone to depression.
- Adam Ant


     “In religious circles, depression is often deemed to be a spiritual condition that can be cured with prayer.
- Tony Campolo

      “Depression scares people off. It makes me laugh that it has that kind of effect.
- Siobhan Fahey


     “I have suffered from depression for most of my life. It is an illness.
- Adam Ant



     “Concern should drive us into action, not into a depression.
- Karen Horney


     “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.”
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow